1. I have the honor to speak on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on agenda item 148: Financing of the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals, in particular the construction of a new facility for the International Residual Mechanism for Criminal Tribunals, Arusha branch.
2. At the outset, the Group would like to thank Mr. Olufemi Elias, Assistant Secretary-General, Registrar of the Mechanism for International Criminal Tribunals, as well as Mr. Carlos Ruiz Massieu, Chair of the Advisory Committee for Administrative and Budgetary Questions,for presenting their respective reports on this agenda item.
3. The Group welcomes the substantial completion of the construction of the facility in Arusha and notes that the facility is fully operational and occupied by the Mechanism since 5 December 2016.
4. The Group would like to reiterate its appreciation to the Government of the United Republic of Tanzania for its continued support to the project as well as to the work of the Tribunal and Mechanism. We encourage the Secretary-General to ensure the continued cooperation between the Organization and all stakeholders in the post-occupancy phase of the project.
5. The Group notes that the project has remained within the overall approved budget, however, the projected savings have been reduced due to project delays. The Group will seek further information during the informal consultations on the project delays; the direct and indirect costs thereof; and the potential recovery of such costs using contractual remedies. The Group trusts that the defect and liability phase will be completed within the projected timeline and without any further costs to the Organisation.
6. With regards to governance and oversight of the project, the Group takes note of the information presented and we look forward to receiving updates on OIOS oversight coverage related to the project as well as plans for the audit of the post-construction phase.
7. The Group notes that other international organisations and judicial institutions are expected to move to the vicinity of the Facility. The Group urges the Mechanism to share its lessons learned in the construction of the Facility and to engage in discussions with these organisations to create synergies and ensure efficiencies where possible.
8. In conclusion, the Group of G77 and China would like to assure you of its readiness to engage constructively in the upcoming discussions with the aim of concluding this important agenda item in a timely fashion.
I thank you, Mr. Chairman.