Statement on behalf of the Group of 77 and China by Ms. Lourdes Pereira Sotomayor, first secretary, Permanent Mission of Ecuador to the United Nations
Resident Coordinator System
1. I have the honour to speak on behalf of the Group of 77 and China on agenda item 136: Proposed Program Budget Biennium 2018 to 2019, Resident Coordinator System.
2. The Group thanks Ms Bettina Tucci Bartsiotas, Assistant Secretary-General and Controller, for introducing the report of the Secretary-General, and extends our appreciation to Mr. Carlos Ruiz Massieu, Chairman of the Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions, for introducing its related report.
3. The G77 and China recognizes the importance of the Resident Coordinator System, and its key role within the Development Pillar of the United Nations.
4. Therefore, the Group supports the recommendations of the ACABQ report A/72/7/Add.5 in its paragraphs 9 and 10, and is disappointed to see that the Secretary General's Report (A/72/337) in this regard, it is a partial fulfilment of the mandate given by the General Assembly on its resolution A/71/272 B, that requested the Secretary-General to present at this session, a refined proposal on the cost-sharing arrangement and management of the financing of the Resident Coordinators System, and thereof the associated costs in the proposed programme budget for the biennium 2018-2019.
5. Nevertheless, the Group understands that this is a special momentum for the United Nations itself, given by the context of the UN Reform proposals, and reiterates, the great importance that a comprehensive reform of the United Nations System, aiming towards a full implementation of the Agenda 2030, must be aligned with all of the Organization's budget cycles and global strategic objectives (QCPR mandate)
6. The Group welcomes the conviction with which the Secretary-General has indicated that it is determined to carry out this process, in a transparent and accountable manner, and has great expectations that it will continue with the same impetus from now until its completion, as an example of democracy within all members of the United Nations System.
7. To conclude, the G77 and China reiterates that it remains committed to strengthening the development pillar of this Organisation, and will continue to constructively participate in the upcoming deliberations on this agenda item, not forgetting to address the root causes of frustration that impede the full enjoyment of our rights, perpetuating inequalities and inequity.
I thank you Mr. Chair.